Skip to main content

What sustains you?

It doesn't interest me where or what or with whom
you have studied.
I want to know what sustains you,
from the inside,
when all else falls away
-
 The Invitation by Oriah

The past week I've been struggling with managing my temper; mainly, living and being in reaction to loved ones. I must admit, I have certainly progressed in this area: spoke what's on my mind and was able to uncover what was in my heart, but not without an attitude.

As I think about what has sustained me, anger and sadness has taken up a huge space in my heart. While I am loving, it is not without walls and conditions- this in and of itself, is limiting.  I'm feisty, quick-witted, quick-mouthed, and for years, kept a huge distance between myself in others in various ways. Last year, I found out- being intimidating, intense really limited the way I wanted to be with people. I wanted to be loved.

Instead, I was received as heavy, bossy, controlling, intense- surely, someone who needed a hug and a kick in the ass- all at the same time.

Hurt and anger taught me over the past week, to examine and go a little deeper: why am I so combative? What is really bothering me? Am I really angry and hurt at circumstances or this person? At myself for allowing certain behaviors to continue?.

And, as I sat in my uneasiness, the answered appeared: ALL OF THE ABOVE.
I have limited myself and boxed myself in. I saw that it was my choice because I was addicted to this way of living and I was very afraid.

Well, change is constant and inevitable. People walk in and out of your life. Circumstances are just that: they are meant to be handled otherwise we can become confided by them.

What sustains me, underneath it all is LOVE- of all kinds, in all shapes and forms.

It manifests in its Divinity- the BEAUTY that God created. In the leaves, the trees, and in the hot sun.

It manifests in deep PASSION- for Dance, Writing, Human Connection - in rich and personal stories that reveal the nuances, tragedy and beauty of human existence.

It manifests in AFFECTION- being hugged, kissed.

I am a woman who has needs- and I am grateful to have the courage to admit them , speak them and allow them to be met.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Me, Myself and Rogue.

Hello Readers! I ask you to connect to the picture below for a few moments. Remember her?  Rogue: the powerhouse from  X-Men. She had the ability to absorb the memories, physical strength and remove the specialities of almost anyone she touches.  Sounds pretty cool, right?  Well, the storyline built around her is that she needed to avoid all physical contact until she gained full control over her power. It affected her romantic relationship with Gambit. Imagine not being able to hug or show affection because you could kill another human being?  In moments of desperation, Rogue turned to Professor X to seek help to control her powers. It took a while for her to be accepted; it was the persistence and the compassion of Professor X to allow the others to give her a chance.  In many ways, I truly connect with her character. This wave of nostalgia joined me when my best friend randomly said, "Omg- E! You are soooo Rogue. You internalize everything!" (at lea

5 days of Clarity. Welcome 2014

Experience has gotten me out of my head.  When you step out, it’s really powerful! How much time do we spend in our own heads, a place that is so comforting but is as empty as a loft space with no heating and cracked windows. Rats are roaming the floors yet there a hint of light shine through the cracks. If this were a home renovation (which it is), I would be able to envision the possibility. There are possibilities for my mind: it’s a matter of rearranging furniture. Radical compassion is working!   I find myself  trusting in and seeking God.  What you seek, you will find; it has shown up in fellowship and service of others.  I am accepting of my flaws, clear about my strengths, and what I want to contribute to the world.  I believe in familial curses as much as blessings. I believe throughout the generations, the hope is that each one will improve upon the last. (Obviously, that’s not always the case). For years, I have struggled with my identity: stuck in

I don't know how, but I WILL someday.

I have been letting anger, frustration and doubt get the best of over the past few weeks.  I'll share my discovery.  What has finally worked for me was to be an observer of my thoughts.  As someone who tries not to be judgmental of others, I am certainly Supreme Court Justice with herself.  And so I resign.. My vision for this blog is to share my personal observations, challenges, solutions and offer an honest, impacting observations and lessons created out of love.  As a loving person with others, I am learning how to cultivate that relationship with myself.  The pendulum swings slower these days but as I was reminded by a friend, I have to celebrate my progress. In other words, it's the journey that is unique to me allow me to grow and forward myself.  So what better time to celebrate then my birthday. On Thursday,  I will be 28 years young.  My vision is big and over the past year, I have been blessed with time, resources a